Early in 1969, Dr E H Burrows of Southampton wrote to all British Consultant Neuroradiologists to suggest the formation of a “Visiting Neuroradiologists’ Club”.
He received so favourable a response that a meeting was arranged at the National Hospital, Queen Square, London, upon the invitation of Dr James Bull on Saturday March 22 1969. This meeting was attended by the 27 leading Neuroradiologists in the country who indicated their preference for a Society rather than a club and unanimously passed the motion of Drs Burrows and Sheldon “that a Neuroradiological Society be formed”.
All those present were to be Founder Members and an ad-hoc committee was formed to prepare by-laws for the proposed Society. A second meeting was held in Edinburgh on November 22 1969 at which Dr James Bull was elected President and Dr E H Burrows Secretary / Treasurer of the Society and the proposed bye-laws were tabled. At a third meeting, held at the Great Ormond Street Hospital, London on May 30 1970, the bye-laws were approved (including the name “British Society of Neuroradiologists”) and this date was agreed as the day on which the Society was founded.
In 1975, the Society became a participating member of the Joint Neurosciences Committee, as a source of direct advice to the Department of Health on neuroradiology in the context of neurosurgical and neurological practice in the country.
In 1977 a medal was struck as a badge of office for the President of the Society, which carries the image of Edward Wing Twinning (1887 – 1939), the pioneer British Neuroradiologist.
In 1994, the Society decided to establish an annual invited lecture, to be given at the Annual Meeting, in memory of the founder member and first President of the Society, Dr James Bull, to be known as the James Bull lecture.